Friday, June 13, 2008

Nostalgia in the form of Civ 3

Wow, for nostalgia's sake only, this game rocks. I spent countless hours in Civ 2. I never made it all the way up to playing deity, but this game was the best game I played age 9-11. I spent so much time on it in England that I could tell you what technology led to which unit and what was the best way to get to where you needed to go.

Now, it's been close to 10 years since I last played it. I installed Civ 3 onto my computer last night and immediately all the nostalgia came back. It was almost like coming home. I've experienced this with games before. But I think this is one of the strongest. I now understand why Mario is so much fun to those SNES junkies. They vaguely remember so much of it that it's better than playing it for the first time.

Games don't do that anymore. 10 years down the road, I doubt I'll ever get into WoW (besides the fact that I'll be 31). Civ 3 or whatever is out, I think I might. The nostalgia holds strong. The game play is almost exactly the same. Everything is familiar enough to understand what is going on, but vague enough there's still a learning curve. I laughed the entire time I was playing it from sheer delight.

I haven't had this much fun playing a computer game since I first started KOTOR back in 2005. For nostalgia's sake I'll give it a 8.5, mainly cause I haven't played it all the way through yet. It's very confusing and I need to figure out everything once more. There are twice as many terrains and commands. But, if you enjoyed the first one, definately play this one.

1 comment:

homer Simpson said...

I used to have a blog like this... then my mom got a job.