Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Console Wars: Games/Software

Another week, another dollar as they say in China.

We'll go this week based on the difference between the games by the consoles. I'm sure there are other games out there but these are the games that defined the console, especially for the year of 2008. This was the year of the PS3 where they were supposed to jump ahead of the 360. The reason for this was because the PS3 was such a pain to try and code your game for. 2008 was supposed to get past that point.

We'll begin with the PS3. These are the PS3 specific titles that were released in 2008:
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Best-(9.8/10, IGN); Worst-(8.5/10, GameSpot)
  • LittleBigPlanet: Best-(10/10, Edge); Worst-(9.2, IGN(Aus))
  • Resistance 2: Best-(5/5, Xplay); Worst-(4/5, Gamepro)
  • Haze: Best-(7/10, Gamesradar); Worst-(2/5, Gamespy)
  • Disgaea 3: One Review-(8.25/10, Eurogamer)
  • SOCOM: Confrontation: Best-(8.5/10, Playstation Universe); Worst-(2/5, Xplay)
  • MotorStorm 2: Best-(4.5/5, Gamepro); Worst-(3/5, Playstation Magazine)
  • Buzz Quiz TV: Best-(8.9, IGN(US)); Worst-(7/10, Edge)
  • Time Crisis 4: Best-(8.0/10, IGN); Worst-(5.5/10, GameSpot)
  • Gran Turismo 5: Prologue: Best-(8.5/10, IGN); Worst(7/10, Playstation Magazine (UK))
I'll have to do the other consoles next week since I have run out of time. I have reviews of 2 games that are on here. You can check the blog for them. The other ones I haven't heard of for the most part. I am sure there are more games out there for the PS3 so if you have any suggestions please let me know.

It does amuse me thought that the PS3 controller is supposed to be the best for an RPG style game and there are no RPG's on here. In fact, most of the games that came out seem to be FPS. These were essentially the best games coming out for the PS3 this past year.

None of them really made me turn my eye at all, then again I haven't played all of them either...

~j

4 comments:

Josiah said...

I love RPG's, but I hate the PS controller. I'd take N64 or even Xbox over it any day for RPG.

Verification word: kiststs

Feedthebird said...

Why are you posting your verification word?

Josiah said...

It looked like a lizard person saying the word "kiss" with Valentine's Day coming up and all.

Andrew said...

Verification word: whatio

As in "Whatio talking about?"